For information about the New Zealand Privacy Act and how it protects all personal information in New Zealand, click here.
APN Online (New Zealand) Limited or our related companies ("we" or "us") may gather the following types of information about users including you ("you"):
1. personal information provided by you when you interact with us, such as when you use or purchase our products or services, when you subscribe or register to use our products or services, and when you provide us with your feedback or respond to surveys you are asked to participate in;
2. aggregated information generated by our systems or third party systems we use, which track traffic to and from our sites but does not relate to you personally; and
3. other information that does not personally identify you. Failure to provide necessary personal information when requested may result in certain products or services not being available to you.
Disclosure of Information
We may disclose:
1. all information that we gather, including your personal information, to our related companies;
2. aggregated tracking information and other information that does not personally identify you, to third parties such as our advertisers;
3. your personal information to third parties when we believe in good faith that we are required to do so by law;
4. your personal information to other third parties provided we have your prior authorisation, which we will usually obtain at the time of collecting the information from you.
We may use the personal information we collect:
1. for verification of your identity and assisting you in case you forget your password or login details where these are necessary to access any of our products or services;
2. for authorising and processing credit card transactions which you enter into online;
3. to assist in providing the products and services requested by you;
4. to provide information to you about other websites, products and services, which we consider may be of interest to you;
5. for future marketing, promotional and publicity purposes, including carrying out direct marketing, market research and surveys;
6. for ensuring that you are shown the advertising and information that is most relevant to you and your interests; and
7. for any other uses that you authorise.
Content Providers, Advertisers and Partners
We do not control the practices of content providers, partners and advertisers connected with our sites and to whom you provide personal information whilst using one of our sites or services. Our sites contain links to other sites, which may not follow the same privacy policies as us. We recommend that you check any relevant privacy policies before providing your personal information to any third party.
Cookies, Clear GIFS and Tracking
We may collect non-personal information about the computer, mobile telephone, smartphone or other device that you use to access our products or services. Where you allow our mobile services and products to deliver content based on your location (by enabling this feature on your mobile device) we may collect location data. This information is used only for the automated delivery of relevant content to you and for no other purpose.
We may use a cookie file containing information that can identify the computer you are working from. The cookie file is anonymous as it only gives us details of your IP address, PC platform (Windows, NT or Mac), Browser (e.g. Microsoft, Netscape or other, plus the version of Browser) and domain (whether you are accessing the site from NZ or elsewhere). We may use the information generated by "cookies" to:
1. track traffic patterns to and from our sites such as the pages you visit, the time you spend on each page, the date and time of your visit, and referring pages (pages you came from or go to);
2. ensure advertising is being shown to the most appropriate person and limit the frequency of display for certain ad formats; and
Clear gifs are tiny graphics with a unique identifier, similar in function to cookies. Clear gifs may ping or alert an advertiser's server about the online movements of Web users. For instance, advertisers may place a clear gif allowing them to recognise an existing cookie on your browser if from the same service. The main difference between cookies and clear gifs is that clear gifs are invisible on the page and are much smaller. We do not have access to any information collected by these clear gifs nor additional information they may be tied to by the advertiser.
APN Online (New Zealand) Limited or our related companies currently contract with three online measurement companies (comScore, Nielsen Online and Omniture) to manage and optimise our Internet business and communications. These companies collect non-personally identifiable information about visits to our site to assist us in analysing the site's performance and advertising effectiveness and optimising the site for readers and marketers.
comScore is a leading internet technology company that measures what anonymous people do as they navigate each of our pages. comScore collects usage data from visitors to our sites and captures the usage habits of a large panel. This unified data enables us to improve our products.
comScore sets cookies on behalf of APN Holdings NZ Limited and its related companies.
comScore provides APN Holdings NZ Limited with data such as page views, visits, visitor numbers, how long a visitor spends on the website, on each page, and within each section as well as entry and exit points into and from the website. In addition some anonymous demographic data is recorded.
We use Nielsen Online's website measurement software and system to assist in tracking traffic patterns to and from our sites, aggregating anonymous information about visits to our sites, and randomly and anonymously surveying users of our sites. Nielsen is a leader in the Internet industry in interactive measurement technologies and market research and its system is an accepted standard amongst major New Zealand Internet sites. The system is used to collect information on our network such as the number of pages viewed, the number of unique visitors, how long these visitors spend on the website when they do visit, and common entry and exit points into and from the website. Random anonymous surveys are also used to collect further information about our users.
Omniture is a leading global web analytics software service used by many of the top international websites. Omniture software, also collects anonymous data using transparent code placed on each of our pages and is used to help track visitor behaviour. It sets cookies on behalf of APN Holdings NZ Limited and its related companies.
The system is used to collect information on our network such as:
1. number of pages viewed;
2. the number of unique visitors;
3. how long these visitors spend on the website when they do visit; and
Third Party Ad Servers
Some of our advertisers use third party companies to serve advertisements when you visit our websites. These companies may use information (not including your name, address, email address or telephone number) about your visits to this and other websites, including information gathered by cookies, in order to provide advertisements about goods and services of interest to you. We do not control the practices of these companies and they may not follow the same privacy policies as us. We recommend that you check any relevant privacy policies before providing your personal information to any third party.
Opting in and Opting Out
1. opt out and not receive certain services or participate in certain interactive areas; or
2. opt in, for example agreeing to be contacted by us in relation to certain matters such as notification of new features to this website, receiving newsletters or promotional activities.
Changes to Policy
Holding, Correcting and Updating
Any personal information that you provide to us will be collected and held by us at 46 Albert Street, Auckland, New Zealand. Under the Privacy Act 1993 you have rights of access to and correction of personal information that we hold. We offer the ability to correct or change the information collected at any time and as often as necessary. If you have any questions about how our services work or regarding this policy, contact us by email or by mail to APN Online, 46 Albert Street, PO Box 32, Auckland, New Zealand.
For information about New Zealand's Privacy Act 1993 and how it protects the personal information of individuals in New Zealand, click here.
Updated: 25 March, 2014
The terms and conditions set out below ("Terms and Conditions") govern your use of the APN Network. By using the APN Network, you must accept and abide by the Terms and Conditions. If you do not accept the Terms and Conditions, you are not permitted to use the APN Network and you must refrain from using it.
If you have any complaints or questions regarding the APN Network or the Terms and Conditions then you can contact the Customer Support Team here.
If you are an advertiser on the APN Network, these Terms and Conditions apply to you in addition to the APN Advertising Terms and Conditions. A copy of the APN Advertising Terms and Conditions are available here. To the extent of any inconsistency, these Terms and Conditions prevail in relation to your use of the APN Network.
APN reserves the right to make changes to these Terms and Conditions which will be effective once they are published on this site. You should revisit this area of the APN Network regularly to check the Terms and Conditions.
Use of the APN Network by you You agree to only use the APN Network for purposes permitted by the Terms and Conditions. You are responsible for all equipment and software used to access the APN Network.
You must not:
- use the APN Network directly or indirectly for any activity which breaches any laws, infringes a third party's rights, is unlawful, or breaches the Terms and Conditions;
- use the APN Network directly or indirectly to post or transmit any Material unlawfully, or which is obscene, indecent, uses offensive language, defames, abuses, harasses, stalks, threatens, menaces, offends or restricts any person, or which prevents any other user from using or enjoying the APN Network or which is false, misleading or deceptive in any way;
- submit for posting or otherwise distribute any Material in any way which violates, plagiarises or infringes upon the rights of any third party, including but not limited to any copyright or trademark law, privacy or other personal or proprietary or moral rights;
- use the APN Network directly or indirectly, or use any service provided on the APN Network, to conduct surveys, contests, pyramid schemes, or send chain letters, junk email, spam or any other duplicative or unsolicited messages (commercial or otherwise);
- attempt to gain unauthorised access to the APN Network or use another person's name, registration account or password;
- impersonate any person or entity or create a false identity for the purpose of misleading others as to the identity of the sender or the origin of a message you post on the APN Network or falsely state or otherwise misrepresent your affiliation with a person or entity;
- knowingly provide registration information that is not truthful;
- tamper with, hinder the operation of or make unauthorised modifications to the APN Network;
- knowingly transmit any virus or other disabling feature to the APN Network;
- collect information about others, including email addresses, without their consent; or
- engage in any other conduct that we may advise that we consider (in our absolute discretion) breaches these Terms and Conditions or is otherwise inappropriate for the APN Network.
APN reserves the right at any time to charge a fee for access to portions of the APN Network, however in no event will you be charged for such access unless we obtain your prior agreement to pay.
All charges for access to the APN Network are GST inclusive. Where a purchase option provides access to the APN Network (or any part of it) for a period greater than 24 hours, it is deemed to be a subscription and unless directed otherwise by the purchaser, at the time of purchase, that subscription will be automatically renewed at the expiry of the subscription period.
Refunds will be given at the discretion of APN Management.
Disclaimer and Limitation of liability
To the extent permitted by law, APN and its information contributors and associated service providers exclude all warranties, including without limitation, as to the availability, accuracy, completeness, currency or reliability of the Material, products or services, including products or services of any third party, that are made available via the APN Network.
APN does not investigate or endorse any person, company or organisation that uses, advertises, posts on or provides Material to the APN Network or any events, information, products or services ("Products") offered for sale or otherwise identified or provided by them. The availability of Material through the APN Network does not constitute advice about the appropriateness, value or suitability of any Material or Product, any particular transaction or course of action nor does it constitute any recommendation or endorsement by APN of any Product or to you to enter into any transaction or follow any course of action. Any decision that you make about any Material or Products offered, identified or provided through the APN Network or referred to or advertised on the APN Network must be based solely on your own evaluation of your circumstances and objectives and of the Material or Product. APN recommends that you independently verify the accuracy, currency or reliability of any Material made available via the APN Network and upon which you intend to rely.
The APN Network and Material available on it are provided on an "as is" basis. You understand that by using this APN Network, you may be exposed to content that is posted by third parties which you may find indecent or objectionable.
APN makes no warranty that the APN Network will be free from viruses or any kind of malicious code whatsoever. To the extent permitted by law, all implied warranties, conditions and representations about or in relation to:- the APN Network; - Material on the APN Network;- the services or Products made available through the APN Network;- the availability of the APN Network; and- your use of the APN Network,are excluded.
To the extent permitted by law, we (and our officers, employees, agents or related bodies corporate) exclude all liabilities (including in contract, for negligence or otherwise) for any loss, damage (whether direct or consequential), costs or expenses suffered by you or claims made against you in connection with, however caused:
- your use of the APN Network (and its Material);
- any lack of availability, interruption, delay in operation, virus, internet access difficulties, or equipment malfunction in relation to the APN Network;
- any failure to provide the APN Network; - any Products, goods or services supplied, offered or advertised on the APN Network; or
- your purchase of any goods or services offered for sale on the APN Network or your use or reliance on any information provided on the APN Network.
The APN Network may contain links to external sites. Those sites are not part of the APN Network and, unless otherwise indicated, are not under APN's control. No link appearing in the APN Network and no external sites linked to the APN Network is endorsed by APN and no responsibility is taken for material in them. You agree that by accessing any linked site you are doing so at your own risk and you agree to fully indemnify APN against any liability arising out of your accessing any linked site.
Accuracy of Registration Information
When registering on the APN Network, you must ensure that all information you provide is correct and up-to-date. If you change your details during the period of your membership, you agree to ensure your details are updated.
Username and Password
It is your responsibility to keep your login (email address) and your password safe and secure. If there is any activity undertaken with your login details then you are responsible. Your account is for your sole, personal use. You may not allow others to use your account and you may not assign or otherwise transfer your account to any other person or entity. If you think that your details may have been used by someone else then you must notify Contact Support as soon as possible. You must also change your password immediately. You agree to indemnify APN against any and all claims arising out of your failure to maintain the confidentiality of your username and password.
If any credit card payments are made on the APN Network, those payments are processed by an independent third party service provider. You consent to disclosure of relevant information about you to that provider on a confidential basis. If you wish to obtain further information about the provider, then contact us in accordance with the Privacy Statement. To the extent permitted by law, APN excludes all liability in relation to those payments and the services provided by that third party.
Placement and Removal of Material on the APN Network
We reserve the right (but have no obligation):
a. to decline to publish, or where already published, to remove any Material that we consider in our absolute discretion is inappropriate for the APN Network for any reason;
b. to establish general practices and limits concerning the uploading of Material to the APN Network or the level and amount of your use of the APN Network and that these practices and limits may be modified from time to time;
c. to monitor use of the APN Network by you and store and disclose any information we collect, including in order to investigate you compliance with these Terms and Conditions or for the purposes of any police investigation or governmental request.
You agree that APN has no responsibility or liability for the deletion or failure to store any Material submitted by you to the APN Network.By providing Material to APN for posting or publishing on the APN Network, you:a. authorise APN to use any Material you provide to us in good faith for the purposes of complying with any legal process, responding to claims of third parties and to protect the rights or property of APN and its customers and the public;
b. authorise APN to edit, modify, amend or adapt or otherwise change your Material;
c. grant APN a world-wide, royalty-free, non-exclusive licence to use and exploit all intellectual property rights in your Material, in perpetuity, without restriction and without making any payment to you and without seeking any further approval from you, including publication of that Material in hard copy publications or in electronic media, using your Material in advertising or promotional material and permitting others to do any of these, including when others or APN receive payment for doing this;
d. waive all moral rights in your Material and consent to APN doing anything which APN (or anyone permitted by APN) may do in relation to your Material which would otherwise be in breach of your moral rights. This includes APN using your Material without attributing you as the source of your Material;
e. warrant that you are the sole author or owner of the Material;
f. warrant that you have the right to grant the abovementioned licence;
g. agree that we may use your name, likeness, publically accessible biographical data in connection with our use of such Material; and
h. agree to indemnify APN and its officers, employees and agents from any damage or loss made against or suffered by any of those indemnified arising, in whole or in part, as a result of the publication by APN of your Material.
You acknowledge that copyright, trade marks and all other intellectual property rights ("IP Rights") in the APN Network and in the Material displayed or available through the APN Network belongs to APN or its licensors.
You are provided access to the APN Network only for your personal use. Subject to applicable laws:
- unauthorised use of the Material is strictly prohibited and may infringe APN's or its licensors IP Rights in the Material; and- no content may be reproduced, published or transmitted in any manner without the prior written consent of APN.
Without limiting the above, and subject to applicable law, you may not without prior written permission from APN:
- archive the Material or any part of it;
- form a database whether electronically or otherwise by systematically downloading or storing all or any of the Material;
- redistribute or republish the Material; or- link to the APN Network including (without limitation) linking in any way which:
- frames the APN Network;
- replicates the APN Network; or
- misleads any person regarding any association with the APN Network or any association with APN (whether implicitly or expressly).
The trade marks used on the APN Network are APN's trade marks or the trade marks of a third party. Nothing on the APN Network should be construed as granting any licence to use any trade mark without the permission of the owner.
You must not use any of APN's trade marks:
- as or as part of your trade marks;
- in connection with goods or services which are not the goods or services of APN;
- in a manner that may be confusing, misleading or deceptive; or
- in a manner that disparages APN, its information or services or the APN Network
You acknowledge that your use of the APN Network and associated services may be subject to interruption or delay. Due to the nature of the Internet and mobile phone communications, APN and its service providers do not make any warranty that the APN Network or services will be error free, without interruption or delay or free from defects in design or engineering.
The compatibility of this APN Network is not guaranteed for all software or hardware of users.
To the maximum extent permitted by law, you specifically agree to indemnify and hold APN and its affiliates, employees, agents, representatives and third party service providers, harmless from any and all claims and liabilities relating to your use of the APN Network or its use by any person on your behalf. For the purposes of this paragraph APN Network includes any linked sites.
You acknowledge that you have read and understood the terms of the Privacy Statement that are located here. You agree that APN may use and disclose information about you in accordance with the terms of the Privacy Statement. You also agree to check the Privacy Statement on a regular basis and to let APN know if you object to use or disclosure of information about you in accordance with any updated statement.
If you make contact with a person through the APN Network and that person requests that you do not contact them again, you must comply with that request. You must not disclose the contact details of any person that you obtain through the APN Network without the prior consent of that person.
The illegality, invalidity or unenforceability of any part of the Terms and Conditions will not affect the legality, validity or enforceability of the remainder.
We reserve the right to suspend, limited, cancel or disable your access or membership from the APN Network without prior notice (i) if we reasonably believe that you or someone authorised by you breaches any of the Terms and Conditions, (ii) if considered necessary by APN due to technical or security issues, (iii) if there is a prolonged period of inactivity on the APN Network by you (iv) if APN is requested to do so by a government or law enforcement agency (v) or if it is otherwise considered necessary by APN at its sole discretion. APN is not required to provide any reasons for a decision to suspend, limited, cancel or disable your access or membership.
Upon termination of your membership you will be restricted from accessing any member restricted area of the APN Network, submitting any Material to the APN Network and any Material submitted by you to the APN Network or other information held by APN in relation to your use of the APN Network may be deleted and is not returnable to you.
Benefit of Terms and Conditions
APN Online (New Zealand) Limited holds the benefit of all rights conferred on APN or its officers, employees or agents under these Terms and Conditions as trustee for those persons and may enforce those rights on their behalf in its capacity as trustee.
These Terms and Conditions are governed by, and construed in accordance with the law in force in New Zealand. The parties submit to the exclusive jurisdiction of the New Zealand courts for any proceedings in connection with these Terms and Conditions
In these Terms and Conditions:
APN Network means all of the New Zealand websites, mobile sites and Apps that we own and/or operate from time to time, regardless of how those websites are accessed by users (including via the Internet, mobile phone or any other device).
Material means information, data, text, software, illustrations, photos, audio, video, any combination of these or other material.
Us, we, our or APN means APN Online (New Zealand) Limited and/or its related companies or joint ventures.
Updated 22 July, 2011
Terms and conditions go here